Keeping socially connected online
COVID-19 restrictions have created a great challenge for many older Australians. On the one hand, we’ve been asked to stay home to protect ourselves and others from the virus. On the other hand, we know that staying active, engaged and connected to our community is vital to preventing loneliness and maintaining good physical and mental health.
Staying physically distant doesn’t mean you have to be socially isolated. KinCare has created fun and creative ways for Customers to stay connected online through its new Virtual Connections Services.
We’ve created a variety of virtual one-on-one and group activities to suit the different social needs of our Customers.
- Create a life story Memory Book: Would you like to share your life story and cherished photos with your friends and family? We can help you capture and organise your memories in a printed memory book to keep and share with your loved ones.
- Create a photo Memory Book: Want to organise all those old photos you love into one, convenient place? We’ll help you scan, arrange and caption your favourite photos (old and new) in a printed photo memory book.
- Create your own Recipe Book: Capture and share your favourite recipes with your family and friends. We can help you arrange your recipes in a printed recipe book of your very own.
Individual activities are arranged into one-hour sessions, conducted over a number of weeks. At the end of your sessions, your stories, photos and recipes will be captured in a beautifully designed book which can be printed in hardcover if you choose. Each book will include a minimum of 20 printed pages – and you can purchase additional copies if you choose.
- Book club: Are you a bookworm? Ever joined a book club? Well now’s your chance. Share your thoughts on your favourite books with others who share your passion for reading. Each book club is limited to 10 people.
- Trivia: Test yourself against other general knowledge buffs in this fun and brain-activating game.
- Bingo: Will you be the first person to mark off all your numbers and shout, ‘Bingo’? Join in and find out.
- Scattergories: This is a fast-thinking game of categories and words. You get one minute to think of answers to categories on a list, using a given letter of the alphabet. It’s a great workout for your brain. Give it a try!
How do Virtual Connections Services work?
All services run for one hour per week – and you can join as many activities as you’d like.
While times for group activities will be fixed, our Virtual Connections Group Coordinator can schedule individual activities at a time that suits you.
All activities are conducted online. You can join in using your smartphone or tablet device, but if you don’t have either of these, you can still get involved. You can also connect over the phone. Our team can also get you connected online with a tablet device through our Let’s Connect program.
Am I eligible to join?
KinCare’s Virtual Connections Services are open to all Customers on a Home Care Package, as well as those receiving social support or respite under a Commonwealth Home Support Package.
Talk to your Customer Care Manager today about joining in some individual or group online activities to stay connected with others.